Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Oatmeal bread

per a request on Instagram...  a very reliable well rounded oatmeal bread recipe.

I combine the following in a bowl with the hot water, egg last so it's not too hot-

1 cup boiling water
2 T butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 T honey
1 T dark molasses
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 large egg lightly beaten

I mix it up a bit with the fork I beat the egg with all in one bowl and let sit while measuring the dry into my bread machine.

3 cups flour (I use a mix of whole wheat and white or all white-any combination works and is good)
2 tsp (bread machine or instant) yeast (sprinkled over flour)

I don't like how this cooks in the bread machine,
so I use the dough setting and bake it in the oven as rolls or as a single loaf.  It seemed to fall a little bit after raising too high in my bread machine.  Anyway, after being done with the dough setting a shape the rolls or put the dough into a bread pan and let raise again until doubled.  Bake 350 until golden brown.  Longer for bread shorter for rolls but about a half hour or so.

signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Looks good. I love my bread machine. Do you think I could leave out the molasses?? Not a fan of that flavor.

L, Ann and boys said...

I'm sure you could, just add a bit more honey for sweetness. I don't know that I actually taste the distinct flavor of molasses though...it's more of a rounded...carmel or burnt butter flavor or something. But that is a flavor some people like or don't like for sure. :) I love burnt toast :D

Ashton said...

Yum. I love bread. And I need to use my bread maker!